Cabin beds are a fabulous way to provide your child with their very own little independent kingdom. These beds stand out with their exciting designs and can look like anything from epic pirate ships to big tree houses, modern castles with built-in play areas or cute spaceships out of a cartoon. With their availability in a tremendous range of gorgeous designs and colourful palettes, cabin beds offer you the perfect way to create a fun and exciting haven for your little one.
If you're looking to buy a cabin bed that is as unique as your child, we've got all the information you need to make an informed decision.
There are many different types of cabin beds available on the market today. Knowing which one to buy depends on your child's age, needs and your own preferences.
The following is a list of some of the most common types:
A mid-sleeper is a type of lofted cabin bed that sits about halfway up the wall and is ideal for children above 6 years and under 12 years of age. It is easy to climb up and has very less or no stairs, so there’s no risk of falling off. The bed itself is quite compact, so it doesn’t take up much floor space – it’s perfect for small bedrooms.
In other words, mid-sleepers are great because they are:
- Great space savers – They take up far less space than full size beds and can be used as a desk when not in use as a bed.
- Versatile – They often come with built-in desks and small storage compartments where all kinds of toys, bedding, school bags and other items can be stowed out of sight.
- Cost-effective – They tend to be less expensive than other types of cabin beds because they take up less space in the room, so fewer materials and labour hours are required to manufacture them.
- Attractive – They are designed to look fun and exciting for young children. They are also available in many different styles and colours, which means you can easily find one that matches your child’s personality.
- Safe – Mid-sleeper cabins are designed to be very safe, they have a wide base that prevents tipping and a secure railing system that prevents falling out of the bed.
High-sleepers are a great choice for kids aged 6 years and above, and those who are ready to have their own space. They are taller than mid-sleepers and have, as a result, much more functionality fitted under the bed. Children love these because it gives them more independence, freedom and their very own play and study area while parents love it because it aids in a neater organization of the room, thereby decluttering it.
In other words, high-sleepers are great because they are:
- Convenient – High sleeper cabins are more convenient than bunk beds because they offer more storage space under the bed where you can store toys, books and other items that don’t fit in other parts of your child’s room.
- Practical – Most children's bedrooms are small enough as it is without adding extra furniture into the mix! A high-sleeper cabin bed allows you to save space by taking up less room than traditional loft beds do while still offering all of the same benefits that they do
- Safe – Since high sleeper cabin beds are raised off of the ground and protected with solid guard rails, it’s impossible for children to fall off or climb over them. This means that parents won’t have to worry about their kids potentially injuring themselves by rolling off of their beds at night or during the day when they’re playing around in the room with their friends and siblings.
- Attractive – You can choose from a wide range of designs, colours and finishes to suit your interior décor. From minimalist styles to classic wooden designs, there’s a high sleeper that will suit every style and budget
- Creative – Children love being able to look out from above at their surroundings. A high-sleeper can consequently help them feel safer and more secure when they are sleeping at night.
Double Cabin Bed
Double cabin beds are perfect for young children, as they give them plenty of space to sleep and play, but still keep them under the supervision of an adult. The upper bunk is recommended for children aged 6 and above while the lower bunk is suitable for anyone old enough. If you want to make sure that your child is sleeping soundly all night, then a double cabin bed is definitely the way to go.
In other words, double cabin beds are great because they are:
- Spacious – Double cabin beds offer more sleeping space than single cabin beds do, which is one of the main reasons why they’re so popular. If you live in a house with many people or if you have guests often, then having enough room for them all to sleep comfortably is important. Double cabin beds can provide this space without taking up too much room in the room itself.
- Privacy-friendly - There's nothing like having your own space when it comes to sleeping; it makes it much easier to fall asleep. With a double cabin bed, each person gets their own space without sacrificing comfort and convenience.
- Safe – Double cabin beds provide a safe place to sleep for children and adults alike. The upper bunk, which is for children, is secured with either borders or guard rails to protect the child from rolling off during their sleep.
- Functional – You don't need to buy additional furniture or store it under your bed because the cabin bed itself offers built-in storage space. This can be especially useful if you have limited closet or drawer space in your home.
- Stylish – When it comes to adding style to your home, nothing beats the look of a beautiful piece of furniture like a double cabin bed. These pieces add elegance and class to any room they are placed in. This can be especially important if you live in an older house with less-than-modern rooms that need updating!
Features To Consider
Buying a cabin bed for your child can be a very exciting time. You’ll want to find the right one that is going to last, but also be safe, comfortable and fit well into your budget.
Here are some features you should consider when buying a cabin bed:
A cabin bed with integrated storage is a great choice if you are looking to maximize the space in your bedroom. It will give your child an opportunity for independent learning about how things work together—if they see that there's a place where things, for example toys, should be stored then they'll feel more comfortable putting them back where they belong when they're done with them—which will keep everyone happy!
Shelving – Integrated shelving space is great if your child has a lot of stuffed toys they'd want to display. The shelves can be used for books too or for other items that need to stay out of the way but remain easily accessible.
Wardrobe – Some cabin beds feature a small built-in wardrobe underneath the bed so that children can store clothes and other items out of sight. This allows parents to keep the bedroom looking neat and tidy while still providing their children with adequate storage space.
Desk – Cabin beds with built-in desks are great for school-going children because it saves precious floor space and provides a dedicated spot for learning. It also helps them keep their school books and stationery items organized in one place.
Drawers – Integrated drawers are highly practical because they provide extra storage space where it's needed the most: right next to the bed! They're perfect for holding blankets, pillow sheets and other items that need convenient access at all times during the day.
Safety Rails – A good number of cabin beds come with safety rails built into the design, which makes them much safer than other types of beds. Safety rails are attached to the headboard and footboard of the cabin bed frame to prevent individuals from rolling out of the bed during sleep. The rails should be high enough to keep pillows, blankets and other items from falling onto the floor.
Ladder – The ladder should be strong enough to support your child's weight and easy for them climb up and down independently. If you have young kids, look for something that's stable, has no sharp edges and has rounded corners (so it won't catch their clothes).
Craftsmanship – A good cabin bed should last through several generations of kids and still look as good as new after many years of use. Look for models made from high-quality, sturdy and durable materials so they can handle rough play from younger children without breaking down easily or splintering.
We hope that you found this buying guide useful, and that it has provided enough information to help you make up your mind as to which cabin bed is best for you. And if you're on the fence about whether or not to purchase a cabin bed, we hope that this post has at least given you some things to consider before making your decision.